5 Pest Control Myths
Pests have been bugging people since the dawn of man and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. As a result, mankind has developed methods to deal with these pests. Many of the methods are tried and true. But some are not.
In this article we will discuss five of the top five myths associate with pest control.
- Do-it-yourself pest treatment can be applied by anyone and still be effective – Unfortunately this statement is false. Millions of dollars and thousands of hours are wasted by people every year applying the wrong solution to their pest problem. Identifying the exact pest and knowing what kind of treatment to use is half the battle. The other half is knowing how much and how often it should be applied.
- Use as much insecticide as you want. The more the better – This is actually a big problem. If you over-apply insecticide, the pest can start to develop an immunity to it. The same holds true if you place it in the wrong area. Bugs are programmed to adapt, like any living organism, and they will adapt to what you are doing if given the chance.
- Ultrasonic bug repellents work – There has been no evidence of these devices actually working.
- Early morning and the evening are the worst time for mosquitoes. This isn’t true. They are out all the time. People probably believe this because this is when they are out during the day, so as to avoid mid afternoon heat.
- House or room-share rental is very clean, it must have no bed bugs. The appearance of a room really has nothing to do with bed bug infestation. Bed bugs are directly transferred to the bed. They could have been brought in by the person that slept there last night. Check out this page for tips on how to look for bed bugs.
It is best to get fully educated on your pest infestation before deciding on a treatment. If you do not have the time to do this, a good pest control specialist will be able to take care of the problem for you.