Here at Sunstate Pest Management, we specialize in full service integrated mosquito management programs designed to control nuisance and disease vector mosquitoes, while protecting the natural environment. Mosquito control does not have to be expensive or involve widespread spraying. Surveillance is essential because it allows for good decision making, such as, whether there is a significant number of a disease vector to justify control measures and where precise applications should be targeted. Preventive measures to avoid attracting and breeding mosquitos is a key element in control and should be part of your routine yard maintenance.
Some tips on reducing the likelihood of an abundance of mosquitos:
* Drain standing water to stop mosquitoes from multiplying in sitting water from garbage cans, house gutters, pool covers, coolers, toys, flower pots or any other containers where sprinkler or rain water has collected.
* Recycle any old tires, drums, bottles, cans, pots and pans, broken appliances and other items that aren’t being used. These tend to be highly typical areas for water to gather.
* Clean and refresh your birdbaths at least once or twice a week.
* Maintain proper water balance pH levels in swimming pools. Empty plastic kiddie pools when not in use.
* If you must be outside when mosquitoes are active, cover up. Wear shoes, socks, long pants, and long sleeves.
* Apply mosquito repellent to bare skin and clothing. Always use repellents according to the label. Repellents with DEET, picaridin, oil of lemon eucalyptus, methyl nonyl ketone and IR3535 are effective. Use mosquito netting to protect children younger than 2 months.
* Keep mosquitoes out of your house. Repair broken screens on windows, doors, porches and patios.
* Stock your ornamental water garden with mosquito-eating fish (minnows, gambusia, goldfish, carp or guppies).
* Highly effective, a battery powered hand held bug zapping flyswatter can be purchased for less than ten dollars in most stores.
If you have an abundance of mosquitos in your yard or property, give us a call at 1-800-781-PEST(7378) and we will be more than happy to schedule you an appointment with one of our highly trained pest control specialists. We will evaluate your bug situation and devise an effective treatment plan to quickly resolve the issue with an environmentally safe approach. We thank you for considering our family friendly service, and hope to be of assistance when you need it most.