Spring Pest Tips for 2019
Spring is upon us. You will notice the bees on flowers and those annoying love-bugs doing their thing too. The days get a little longer, the sun gets a little warmer. This time of year activates the gene in all types of creatures. They start to search for food, mate and expand their territory. This is the perfect time of year to take some fairly simple steps to prevent pest infestation:
- Seal the pest entryway. Pests can’t get into your home if there are no ways to get in. Seal any holes in the structure. Replace screens in windows and doors.
- Keep area clean. If there is no food laying about, then pests will be less attracted to the inside of your house. Make sure to clean often. Sweep and wash away the tiny food particles.
- Yard work is a must. If you keep your grass and shrubs from overgrowing, this helps to prevent pest activity. They love cover and concealment. Remove their shelter places on the perimeter of your home.
- Eat or throw away fruit. We all like to have fruit available for when a snack is needed. But fruit that starts to turn can invite pests. They smell it in the air from great distances. Throw it away or eat it if it is still edible.
- Indoor/Outdoor pets. Make sure to inspect your pets when they return inside from being outdoors. Pests love hitching a ride on them.
- Trash bin. Make sure that your bags are sealed very well. Try not to throw meat outside if the trash collection is scheduled for more than a day away. The meat rots quickly in the outdoor heat and attracts flies and other pests.
- Pest control company. It is extremely advantageous to have a pest control agent treat your property at least every other month. They know what they are doing and can help prevent infestation.
If you follow these steps, you should be able to enjoy your life pest free. Some pests just cannot be avoided however. Termites can make their way into the wood of your home through no fault of your own. It is important to have the pest control agent inspect the wood in your home.